Trichy: Two-year-old Sujith Wilson, who was trapped in an abandoned borewell in Tamil Nadu since Friday, 25 October, has been reported dead. His body was retrieved by rescue officials in the wee hours of Tuesday, 29 October, after intense rescue efforts that lasted four days.
Sujith had fallen into the disused farm borewell while playing near his house in Nadukattupatti on Friday evening, 25 October, and various central and state agencies were called in to rescue him. Attempts to rescue the child became increasingly difficult as he was initially stuck at a depth of 26 feet and then slipped further to 85 feet, TNM reported. Over a dozen rescue teams including the NDRF, SDRF and private experts were pressed into service.
On 27 October, it was reported that Sujith had fainted, but was still breathing.
Commissioner of Revenue Administration J Radhakrishnan said the body of the child was “dismembered” and in a “highly decomposed” state. Health Minister C Vijayabaskar and his Cabinet colleagues had been camping at the site since Saturday, and top government officials led by Radhakrishnan were overseeing the rescue efforts.
A rig machine was being used to carry out drilling near the well, but it was damaged due to the presence of rocks. Following this, a high-speed engine was brought from Ramanathapuram to complete the drilling, ANI reported, quoting Panneerselvam.
A medical team was sent inside, and they told officials that the body was dismembered and had decomposed. A decision was taken then to stop digging and extract Sujith’s body from the borewell.
Leaders of political parties including MDMK chief Vaiko and local Congress MP Jothimani had also been monitoring the rescue operations.
Hours after he was trapped, Sujith's mother Kala Mary was asked to speak to Sujith while he was still responding.