136 missing after Uttarakhand disaster to be declared dead: Officials

by National | 23-02-2021 | 1774 views

Chamoli: Over a fortnight after the flash floods in Uttarakhand, the state government has initiated the process of declaring 136 people still missing as "presumed dead" and issued a notification to that effect, officials said. Chamoli Police on Tuesday said that bodies of 70 people and 29 body parts have been recovered from Tapovan in Chamoli district so far.

Uttarakhand SDRF on Monday widened a lake opening, formed upstream in Chamoli’s Rishi Ganga river after flash floods, to reduce pressure on lake's wall and increase water outflow amid worry over another flood. Ridhim Aggarwal DIG P&M/SDRF said the opening was widened from 20 feet to 35 feet. Navy divers had calculated lake's average depth to be nearly 8 metres.

Lets socialize : Share via Whatsapp