OnePlus Nord 2 5G explodes in Delhi lawyer's coat

by Technology | 13-09-2021 | 443 views

A lawyer’s OnePlus Nord 2 caught fire and exploded in the capital, causing him injuries around the stomach. This isn’t the first time we have heard about the Nord 2 causing a blast as last month, a Nord 2 exploded inside a bag in Bengaluru. Upon investigating, OnePlus said that it was caused due to external damage and was not a manufacturing defect. However, this second incident does raise some questions as to what is causing these Nord 2’s to explode.

OnePlus Nord 2 was launched back in July as the successor to the original OnePlus Nord in the mid-range premium segment. The Nord 2 is the first OnePlus phone to be powered by the MediaTek Dimensity 1200 processor and features 50MP triple cameras along with a 4,500mAh battery that supports 65W fast charging. It's priced starting at Rs 27,999 in India.

According to a report , Advocate Gaurav Gulati’s OnePlus Nord 2 caught fire inside his air-conditioned court chamber and exploded. The phone was kept idle and was not being charged as per Gaurav and he sustained some injuries around the stomach. 

The images shared by Gaurav on Twitter show a completely damaged Nord 2 with burned internals. He told MySmartPrice that he was in his lawyer’s coat when he felt the excess heat and saw smoke coming out of his phone in the pocket. “I immediately threw the gown and once my colleagues and I went close to the phone, it exploded. The entire chamber was filled with smoke after that,” he said during a telephonic conversation with Gadgets360.

Once he tweeted out about this mishap, OnePlus approached Gaurav and a team visited him and asked him to submit the remains of the phone for further investigation. However, he told this both to MySmartPrice and Gadgets 360, that he found the company’s approach towards the incident insensitive.

The New Delhi based advocate will now file an FIR against OnePlus and Amazon on Saturday, September 11 with an aim to ban the sale of Nord 2 in India and for OnePlus to recall all units sold for a detailed analysis.

OnePlus has also tried to clear some air around the incident and sent a formal statement to the media. 

“A few days ago, an individual notified us about an alleged blast case for the OnePlus Nord 2 on Twitter, and our team immediately reached out to this individual to verify the legitimacy of the claim. We take every claim such as this very seriously out of concern for user safety. However, despite multiple attempts to analyse the device, including a visit to the premises yesterday to examine it in the individual's presence, he has so far denied us the opportunity to perform a proper diagnosis. Under such circumstances, it is impossible for us to verify the legitimacy of this claim or address this individual's demands for compensation,” OnePlus said.

While it’s clear that a Nord 2 did cause a blast, the real cause remains to be identified and it is up to OnePlus to come clean on what’s causing the phone to suddenly catch fire. Of course, it could be an isolated incident in which case, OnePlus’ investigation will reveal what actually happened and why did it explode when it wasn’t even charging.

Lets socialize : Share via Whatsapp